Congratulations M

I followed M, the Singapore mama's story since last Autumn and wrote once or twice about it. She disappeared awhile after telling me a lot of background stories. No news was good news I guess. Recently I heard news from her again. She was worried about her health check, possibly the final stage of her migration process. I reassured her about it. I wasn't sure if she was actually listening. It probably didn't matter, in situations like this we just need people to tell us everything's gonna be alright.


Today she sent me a picture on whatsapp. I struggled to download the picture as I had to grip the loose end of my memory card slot on my mobile phone tight so that it functioned properly for me. Believe me, I felt quite happy reading the email from her migration agent, who happened to be that famous si ang mo who rejected my application back in 2006.


I guess M will be either Melbourne or Perth bound. Probably Melbourne because Perth is for "boring people." Whichever it is, congratulations M. I know how you feel now. You even echoed my statement of "it is not done deal yet until I got the sticker." That was what I remembered saying.


Just want to extend a big thank you for all who helped me provide a lot of information for M's concerns about her child's special needs. I was amazed with the responsiveness. Thanks a lot.

8 comments:

  1. :) Thank you Nix! And all who have advised and contributed your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, we are couple from SG just received our PR grant letter. Seems like there's no need to get sticker at embassy nowadays. We only need to show the grant letter when we clear OZ customs during our first landing trip right? We just booked our flight in October. Any advice is appreciated. Many thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where are you heading? diff place, diff advice

      Delete
    2. Planning our landing trip to Sydney and Melbourne to see see look look first....Any clue?

      Delete
    3. http://www.facebook.com/MelbourneSgKampong

      Delete
  3. I want to get my PR too but not on the SOL despite 6 years of work exp. Looks like gotta go back to SG after my post grad studies.

    Sighz...

    Wistful student

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nix

    I am a regular reader of your blog. I am thinking of migrating to Australia to give my 4-yr old autistic son a better chance at life. He now attends a special school in the morning and mainstream nursery in the afternoon. I am hopeful that he could overcome his hurdles and become an independent adult. Most importantly I want him to earn his own keep as I cannot be forever with him.

    This sets me thinking about the possibilities for him as an adult. I don't think SGP is a friendly place for autistic adults as we are too much of a go-getter society. The high-achievers will do well (financially) in SGP but I doubt the autistics will have a happy life here. Australia will give him a more balanced mainstream education (class size SGP (40) vs AU (20+), less focus on academic, etc). With wages that are more evenly distributed, autistics would have a better chance of survival.

    As we are already in our early 40s, we need to have State Sponsorship to clock enough points to get a visa. I need to choose a state that have a stronger support for special needs education. I am keen on Perth but is prepared to go for another State if the special needs support is better there.

    Sorry for the long post. I hope that through your blog I could get some advice from other mummies/daddies who may have tread similar path.

    Thanking everyone in advance.

    Isabel
    isabel030608@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabel,

      Hope all is well, since we spoke. You may wanna share and update your NZ journey. Take care! ;) M

      Delete