Patrick the fellow Singaporean

I didn't know why I had not written anything about Patrick. It would be criminal if I delayed that further. I met Patrick online. We exchanged numbers and contacted each other via watsapp all these while.

Patrick is a Singaporean like me who looks young for his age, probably a couple of years older than me. Mysteriously, his younger son is going through National Service in Singapore now. I'm not sure how this works out but I'll leave it as that.

He came to Australia probably a week after me, alone. Within 2 weeks, he got himself a rental house with a 6 months tenure, bought all his furniture himself and settled in. What a warrior. I wouldn't and couldn't have done what he did. Then he began his job search fervently. Within slightly more than 1 month, he landed himself a permanent job in a good company. He's pretty amazing.

Not only that, he cooks damn well. Well enough to curb my cravings for Singapore food. We visited him the third time today. By now, we had chicken curry, vegetable soup, pork ribs in herbal soup, baked chicken among many 'home cooked' dishes we normally have in Singapore. I felt bad feeding off him thrice and made a mental note to whip some stuffs up for him when I have my own place.

Patrick's wife and young son came over last week for a visit. Needless to say, he must be elated to have time and invited us over for a feast. They would return to Singapore later, probably already by now, and rejoin him in a year's time or so.

I wondered what motivated Patrick to come to Perth. Like Eugene, I thought I wouldn't have done it if I was in his shoes. Patrick and his wife held good jobs, probably paid up their HDB flat and his kids have grown up to marriageable age. Even if he downgrades his job to a lower paid, less stressful one in Singapore, he'll probably be alright. Well on the other hand, many people told me they wouldn't have done what I did.

Everyone has their own story I guess.

Meanwhile, Patrick will begin his new working life in Perth. We'll probably meet up less often, especially after the baby comes. But eventually when both the ships of our lives stablises in the sea of uncertainty, we'll most likely catch up really often.

I'll put up Patrick's help in resume and cover letter writing that got him astounding results to good use before Summer ends, I'm sure of that.

13 comments:

  1. Nix, you really don't have to do this just because I offered some food which I have to cook anyway.

    I moved to Perth for a change of environment and, hopefully, better opportunities for my family in future.

    You must have forgotten I showed you the WA driving licence with my date of birth on it.
    1965. It is not complicated. You just have to marry and have kids a lot younger than the norm these days. And then spend the next 25 years telling people it was a shotgun wedding :)

    Yeah, those first two to three weeks were rather stressful. Looking for that rental place in a very tight market and then furnishing the place! And all the spending while jobless! Really glad it was over.

    I contacted you because I admire what Jen and you have done and I like your story.

    We've already left Singapore so we need not continue to behave like typical Singaporeans. We should not be afraid to befriend and help one another and share our new life experiences.

    Many recruiters I met highlighted that WA resources businesses still need lots of Engineering people so I believe you will be able to find something quickly once you can start looking.

    It was nice to be able to have dinner with you and my wife and son. They have just flown home this morning but should be making short trips again until the younger boy finished NS.

    I will be starting work on Monday in CBD but I am definitely looking forward to catching up with Jen and you when not working.
    Can be at your place when you have settled in :)

    Cheers, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be joining in shortly. It seem not too bad to go over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found another singaporean there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Peyning : u said many times liao. lol

    @ ellis's luv : all nationalities same when it comes to friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Patrick: I reckon from your last sentence, you r going to buy a car soon. I guess u will buy a new car but if not, let me know if you need a second opinion on the used cars.

    Seeya soon mate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need to keep saying than only will have action le la..... This afternoon I just confirmed my air ticket and will not change again .. I swear.... hahahaaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Peyning, haha. sure or not? see u here someday then :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey asingaporeanson,

    Found your blog while I was googling to see if there are any new Singaporeans who moved to Perth! Pretty glad to find your blog and can relate to it.

    Like you and your wife, I had recently moved to Perth four months ago as my husband is located here. It sure is tough getting used to life here, with lack of friends and family, though I suspect age plays a part too!!

    I am looking for a job now and I find it very heartening to read that your friend,
    Patrick found a job so soon!

    Meanwhile, hang in there and things can only get better (I have to remind myself that too).

    Hopefully my husband and I will meet up soon with you and your family. (and
    your friend Patrick too.. And no lah, not because he cooks well!)

    Den

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Den: Hello, amazed you can find the blog somewhere out there. You'll be fine getting used to life here if you haven't gotten used yet. All humans are adaptable once they make up their mind.

    I will be happy to see u guys one day and I believe Patrick will too. Meanwhile tell me how you live life here since you are here longer than both of us. It shd be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again!

    Never underestimate the wonders of google!

    I havent been here that long, I think it is a few months longer than you and Jen but would be the same experience. The settled feeling and getting used to things will take some time to get used to. It is always good to have someone who went through the whole process to uderstand what we all go through, so that prompted me to write to you.

    Yes humans are adaptable but of course, there are good days and bad days, which we have to accept.

    Would it be convenient for you to forward me your email address so that we can keep in touch.

    Hope your wife is well.

    Den

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Den: hi. my email is asingaporeanson@gmail.com, feel to to send an email when you are free.

    My wife is fine. So far so good but we are getting nervous about the delivery as it is our first child and we don't know what to do exactly though we were briefed by several mothers already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I chanced upon your blog by accident and am glad that there are still some Singaporean who likes Perth.

    I am an ex Singaporean who move here 2 yrs ago after living in Sydney for 10 years.

    I just hosted a family(parent and 3 kids) from Singapore holidaying here. I am so disgusted and appalled by their criticism of Perth. They are finally leaving today with this parting remarks" I can't wait to go home"

    They dislike everything they came across describing the weather as too cold in the last few days and too hot today. They complain about the boredom and Perth to them is a space of nothingness. They found the city lack activities and buzz. They complained about the hotel and the cost of eating out. They were unable to appreciate the beaches, Kings Park nor the Pinnacles.

    In fact they complained about everything the minute they landed till the minute they leave.

    I am sorry to use your blog as a vending machine but I am glad there are fellow Singaporeans here who like Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Alvin: There is a place for everyone. Don't feel appalled. If you put yourselves in their shoes, you'll probably feel the same. If you appreciate Perth however, be glad you are in the right place and be happy for your friends they are too, by the end of today.

    ReplyDelete